Living in a foreign country with aged parents back home that need more and more attention each day is not an easy task. If you’re an Australian citizen or an eligible New Zealand citizen that lives in Australia and have the same predicament back home, rest assured we got you covered. With a contributory parent visa, you can bring your parents to live with you in Australia and take care of them the best way you can. You no longer have to choose between your life in Australia or your parents back home.
Contributory aged parent visa
The contributory aged parent visa 884 is one of the most popular parent visas in Australia. If you have an eligible child living in Australia you can live up to 2 years with this visa (subclass 884). If you had a pleasant stay and liked the country during those two years, you can apply for a permanent contributory aged parent visa and live in the country permanently.
Am I eligible?
You need the following requirements to be considered for a contributory parent visa subclass 884.
- At least have one child who is a permanent Australian resident, Australian citizen, or a New Zealand citizen. He or she should be willing to sponsor you.
- Pass the family test.
- The applicant must not have previously applied for or hold a Sponsor Parent visa(subclass 870) when applying for the contributory aged parent visa.
Where an applicant can apply from?
To apply for the contributory aged parent visa, you need to be in Australia. This doesn’t include immigration clearance. Also, any family member that you wish to apply with you must meet the same conditions.
How long is the processing time?
The processing time may vary from applicant to applicant.
It might take more time than the usual if:
- You made a mistake when filling out the forms
- Miss to provide some of the necessary documents
- The verification of your documents takes more time than the usual
Keep in mind that if you don’t pay the required visa application fees your file won’t be processed. You will be notified by the government if this happens.
Also, it might take years until you get your visa because these kinds of visas are in high demand.
How the assessment process takes place?
- the applicant’s eligibility is examined and if you pass the requirements, it will be added to the queue until a vacant spot is available to start the assessment process.
- after the assessment, the applicant will be notified if he or she is eligible to be granted a contributory aged parent visa or not.
You need to wait until your visa is granted before you make any arrangements to move to Australia. You will receive a letter if that is the case.
Contributory aged parent visa subclass 864
To be eligible for applying for this visa all applicants must be above pension age. It’s called a contributory visa because you need to pay a considerable amount of money (AUD 43,600) to the government to acquire this visa.
Because this visa is specific for old parents, only those who are between 65 to 67 years old and in fact their pension age can apply for it. If you pass the requirements and have an eligible child living in Australia as your sponsor, you can bring others (children, relatives, or a partner) with you inside Australia. Provided that they are under 23 and are sponsored by the same person sponsoring you.
What can you do with visa subclass 864?
- You are free to live in the country as a permanent resident
- Become a sponsor for other family members to move to Australia
- Become an Australian citizen
- Work and study freely in the country
The required documentation for the contributory aged parent visa subclass 864
- Have a child that is willing to sponsor you (their partner can be a sponsor too)
- Meet the balance of family test
- Can provide an assurance of support
- Pass the character requirements
- Should be in Australia at the time of submitting your application
- You must not have applied previously or hold visa subclass 870, sponsored parent visa (Temporary)
Who is eligible to become your sponsor?
Any family member who is 18 or above and is a legal permanent resident, an Australian citizen, or an eligible New Zealand citizen living in Australia for at least 2 years can become your sponsor. This person can be your child, or even their partner or guardian.
Your sponsor must sign an assurance of support to provide proof to the government that he or she will take care of you financially. They have to pay $10,000 for the main applicant and another $4000 for any applicant over 18. The money will be returned to the sponsor after 10 years.
How much does it cost?
The cost of this visa is not something fixed, so you need to check the specific fees before you apply for it. You can pay the fees in two installments. But you have to make sure you pay the required amount on time otherwise you might get a fine or even worst get removed from the program.
The main applicant: $3,770
For each additional applicant: $1,880
The second installment for each of the applicants: 43,600
You are also required to pay for health and police checks. (The amount is not significant)
What sort of benefits visa subclass 864 has?
- You can live as long as you want in Australia
- You can work and study if your health allows it
- You can receive Australian citizenship if you live about 2 to five years in the country
- After five years of living in Australia, you can travel to other countries with an Australian ID
- You can get public healthcare. Which is a significant privilege for someone in their old age.
In this article, we tried to shed light on the most important aspects of the contributory parent visa subclass 884 and 864. These visas will enable aging parents to reunite with their kids living in Australia when they reach a critical age. So, if you have kids living in Australia and are eligible to become your sponsor, then it is a great opportunity to visit them and try living the rest of your life in Australia with your loved ones.