When it comes to fine dining, there are no limits to what a chef will put in a dish – from edible 23k gold flakes, to the world’s rarest caviar…you name it!!
From a £20k taco in Mexico to a £15k cupcake in Dubai, the travel specialists at Scott Dunn set out to discover the world’s most expensive dishes and where to find them. Furthermore, for those wanting to recreate this experience at home, we spoke to professional chefs for tips to make your dinner feel like a 5* experience.
Whether you’re a daring food enthusiast or a lover of luxury, these top 5 destinations for expensive dishes are guaranteed to fulfill your craving for extravagance, even if they’re not the most well-known foodie hotspots.
- Cabo San Lucas, Mexico revealed as an elite destination for foodies seeking luxurious culinary experiences. The city is known for its stunning beaches, vibrant nightlife, and exceptional cuisine. The Grand Velas Tacos, priced at £20,134, offers a luxurious twist on traditional street food, with rich flavors and premium ingredients. A visit to Cabo San Lucas promises a unique and unforgettable dining experience for foodies looking to indulge in the best of the best.
- Dubai, UAE known for its luxurious lifestyle and remarkable architecture, is a paradise for foodies. The Golden Phoenix Cupcake, priced at £15,071, is a unique and lavish dessert that perfectly represents the city’s culinary extravagance. Visitors who love food and want to experience something truly special should add Dubai to their list of must-visit destinations.
- Galle, Sri Lanka is an unmissable destination for foodies where the air is infused with the sweet aromas of exotic flavors and ingredients. The city’s Fortress Stilt Fisherman Indulgence dessert, priced at £11,678, is a decadent and exclusive delicacy made with premium ingredients and presented in an exquisite manner. The dessert combines Sri Lanka’s rich history and exceptional cuisine, offering a one-of-a-kind dining experience that is sure to tantalize the taste buds of any food lover.
- Salero, Italy is a foodie’s paradise, known for its exceptional cuisine and luxurious dining experiences, including the renowned Louis XIII Pizza priced at £9,664, made with premium ingredients and served in a stunning presentation that is sure to satisfy the refined palates of any food lover.
- Sydney, Australia is a vibrant and diverse city with a thriving food scene that offers a wide range of international and local cuisines. Food enthusiasts can discover unique and delectable dishes such as the Posh Pie, which puts a luxurious spin on a traditional Aussie favorite. With its exceptional culinary experiences, Sydney is the perfect destination for foodies to explore and savor new flavors.
We have prepared a table outlining the top 10 destinations across the globe where food enthusiasts can savor the most luxurious and high-end cuisine.
Tips to make your home-cooked meal look and taste luxurious
Rosie Mackean, a chef, food stylist, and writer, thinks that premium fresh seafood is always worth spending money on. She enjoys using Scottish Langoustines and King Crab in her meals. When asked to share her top tips for making your home-cooked feasts stand out, she says:
- Drizzle it with excellent extra virgin olive oil – it will lift the flavor and make it look glossy!
- Use lots of fresh, seasonal herbs – they are delicious and also brighten your food.
- Play with texture – crunchy vs soft is both exciting to eat and look at.
From caviar to white truffles, chef Filippo Pagani has plenty of experience preparing delicate dining dishes. He recommends preparing a salty seabass with dauphinoise and green vegetables as a meal for a special occasion and shares three secrets for the luxury taste and look of your meal:
- Use fresh seasonal products
- Marinate and rest the main ingredient a day before.
- Cook slowly, not fast!