Forget something during your move? Moving to a new home or apartment ?. There are few basic things you can do first in the process to make the moving day a breeze. Below we have discussed with you some important points that should be kept in mind when moving which will save you a lot of anxiety and grief later on.
Things to keep in mind when moving
- Change of address: You will also want to ensure that you have updated your address with your insurance providers, credit card companies, banks, and other leading institutions.
- Records: Obtain copies of your family’s (including pets) medical records. Consider transferring current prescriptions to a pharmacy in your new city. Also, get a document copy of your child’s school record.
- Bank on it: Before moving to a new place, it is wise to open a checking account in your new hometown.
For the new people who move in
The easiest way to simplify your move to a new home is to reduce the number of things you have to sort, pack, transport, unpack, and organize. Go through your current home room by room and look long and hard at everything you own. Make a list of what you want to keep and what you are ready to get rid of.
Raid the pantry
Depending on how far you go, there may be a lot of things in your pantry or refrigerator that are not worth moving. Take stock of food that is about to expire, frozen foods, or objects that are difficult to transport. If you can, try using these things before your move date and avoid bringing these items in the grocery store leading up to the big move.
Decide on a mover
Will you pay for a moving company? In that case, you will want to do some research on different movers in your area, get a free moving quote, and schedule your move date in advance. We recommend that you get a quote from Singh Movers, they can cover the entire move and they are well suited for freight vehicles if you move long distances.
Buy packaging materials
You want to get your packaging materials in advance. If you can, keep an eye on Craigslist or for free boxes from local businesses. Otherwise, you want to buy boxes, packaging tape, bubble wrap, and markers. It’s also a good idea to get a wardrobe box- folding all your clothes to move just to unpack and hang them in your new home is silly. Save yourself time and hassle.
If you are moving to your first place, or if you are expanding into a larger home, order some important things in advance. A little planning ahead makes your first few nights in your new home much more enjoyable. For some inspiration, check out our new home checklist that covers all the essentials and requirements.
If you did a great job on this list, this part is a lot easier. Moving the day is chaotic enough, do yourself a favor and pack your boxes in advance. Start with the items you do not need during the days until the move – think of seasonal clothes, books, decorations, home office, garage, etc.
Schedule time off of work
If you move during the week, make sure you have free time at work. Even if you move on a weekend, you can consider taking off the day after the move so that you can live in your new home.
It will be very easy to clean your new house before moving everything. We recommend that you plan a deep cleaning before you move during the day if you have the chance.
Deduct your relocation costs from your taxes
Make sure to save your receipts through your relocation process. In many cases, you can deduct your moving expenses from your Melbourne at the end of the year and save hundreds or even thousands of dollars depending on how far you move. Everything from small items such as moving boxes to large ticket items for which the cost of a moving company may be justified.
Check out additional information to remember when you move
Draw up a plan for your new home. Know before the move where you want the furniture to be placed and give the plan to the moving company if you do not plan to be there. Use post-it notes for the furniture with details about the location of the room and on cupboard doors for unpackers.
- Pack sufficient towels bed linen and pillows separately so that the beds can be made as soon as possible. Include family sleepwear and necessary toiletries and medications, children’s special toys that share the bed and pets, wires, and bowls.
- Pack tea kettles, coffee mugs, and supplies separately for coffee, tea, snacks, cups, and spoons for easy access during the unpacking process.
- Have prepared and available fresh work clothes and school uniforms/requirements for the following day.
- Make one last check before departing. Leave the keys to windows, garage locks, etc. in a prominent place for the new residents.
- air bottles, Gas cylinders, and similar containers should be emptied several days before they are moved and all flammable liquids such as thinner, paint, cleaning liquids should be discarded before moving.
- Have family or friends help with children and pets on a moving day.
- Start using the food in the freezer, empty the fridge and freezer in the morning when you move and transport perishable goods
- Arrange telephone and internet interruptions on both old and new properties.
- Arrange email redirects and final power meter readings.
Most moves are not smooth, but if you can take care of these things to remember when you move, hopefully, your move will go as smoothly as possible.