In 2021, as the business owner, you need web development and digital assistance team to ensure that your business functions well. But as a startup, you might face challenges to find good software developers and hire them accordingly because of your constrained budget and lack of proper technical knowledge.
Likewise, you will have other important functions to handle in your company. So it might not be possible for you to focus on the technical team.
In this blog, I will discuss a simple 6 steps guide on how to find and hire a web developer without spending over funding for your business project.
Hiring A Web Developer In 6 Simple Steps
There are different types of business projects: small, medium, and big-sized web projects. You need to hire a web developer according to the type of your business project. Below I have gathered some simple steps for you to hire a web developer
1. SPECIFY YOUR BUSINESS CHALLENGES
At the very beginning, you need to understand the project size and goals. Then only decide what kind of web development project you require a developer for:-
- A simple web project:- It includes the building of a simple website or adding advanced features to the existing one. Features may include a contact form, a CTA button, or a new template design.
- Medium web project:- It includes the development of some fixed or dynamic applications, online stores, and other services that require the integration of third-party assistance.
- Large-sized web projects:- It includes projects such as video-sharing social media apps or social networks that need sophisticated technologies and the integration of cloud hosting.
At this stage, you need to communicate with your customers on different social media platforms to know the specific challenges your business is facing.
2. CHOOSE THE SKILLS OF THE DEVELOPER
I hope you know that there are three types of web developers. They are front-end, back-end, and full-stack developers. Let’s try to recognize the differences between them.
- Front-end developer:- They help to make changes to the front of your websites such as your layouts and landing pages.
- Back and developers:- They form the back-end structures of a website. Sometimes you may need back-end developers to improve your website’s speed and integrate third-party assistance to solve any kind of technical issues.
- Full-stack developers:- You can call them all-rounders because they are experienced in developing the fondant and the backend structures of a website.
After understanding the challenges and requirements, start searching for the right web developer.
3. FIND THE SPECIALIST
You need to hire web developers very carefully if you are planning to hire them for your long-term project who will become a part of your project for several years. If you want to hire a web development team you can check the following websites:-
- Clutch:- Customers share experiences in working with web development companies in this Business to Business(B2B) review platform. Thus, you can hire a developer after researching the customer feedback.
- Software World:- Software World platform makes a list of top-ranked developers based on customer feedback. You can get the necessary information before hiring a web developer.
If you want to hire freelancers, you can check the below websites:-
- Upwork:- Upwork is a great platform for finding top freelancers. The platform also provides many useful tools like tracking automatic payment and more.
- Freelancer.com:- Freelance.com is another useful platform to find web development freelancers for your project.
- Guru:- Guru is also a popular platform to hire web developers among 3 million freelancers.
You can check out this website to find good web developers.
4. CHECK OUT THE WEB DEVELOPMENT TEAM EXPERTISE
After choosing the right platform you have to evaluate the expertise and experience of the web development team. You can check the portfolio of the web development team on different platforms like LinkedIn, Behance, and Dribble. All these will give you a glimpse of whether the team can cope up with your requirements or not.
Before signing an agreement you need to check the soft skills of the team members. Few important soft skills are:-
- Communication:- Communication skill is very important for you and the web development team as well. This will result in less misunderstanding, clear project requirements, and features set.
- Teamwork:- Web development involves the developer’s designers, project managers, business analytics, and others. So teamwork is very crucial for the success of your project.
- Approachability:- Approachability and helpfulness is also an essential skill of a web developer. This helps to solve problems quickly.
- Proactivity:- It is always great for your project when a proactive developer can give feedback about technological issues, share thoughts and suggest improvements during the development process of your project.
To check the soft skills of the web developer you can conduct a video interview to talk about himself or explain how to deal with a certain complex technical issue.
5. SELECT A PROPER BUSINESS MODEL
There are few Business models you can choose from.
- The Project-Based Model:- This model is perfect for small web development projects. In this model, the web development team takes all the responsibilities from project management to the choice of solving technical issues. This model also includes predefined scope of work and established timeframes.
- A Dedicated Team Business Model:- This model functions well if you need to add complex features to your websites, purchase cloud storage integration, or chatbot development. You can individually control the project roadmap or pass it to the dedicated web development team. The project management process site is essential for the success of your project.
- Our staff or Extended Team:- This is the best model for long-term projects without spending over budget. In this business model, customers are the responsibility, validation, and control of your business. You need an in-house CTO and project manager in this model. You will be responsible for task assignment progress management and leading web developers from the technical management site.
6. CHOOSE A PAYMENT MODEL
Choosing a payment model is also essential for your web development. If you decide to work with a single web development team then you have to pay them regularly. This is also applicable for both staff and dedicated team working models. There are two important payment models. They are:-
- Fixed Price Paying Model:- Fixed price paying model is the best option for small web development projects. This gives the scope of a clear time frame and works as well.
- Time and Material: The time and Material model is suitable for all kinds of projects like small, medium, or big-size projects. The work and the time frame are also flexible. This model includes paying the hourly rate of each developer based on their time spent on development.
After this stage, you and your web development team can start the initial phase of the project and create the requirements for the project MVP.
In a nutshell, you can easily find a web developer whether you need to make small changes to your website or build an application to complete a social network or many third-party integrations. By following the guides I have discussed, you can select the perfect developer for your upcoming project and choose the best working and paying models.
Author – Sunny Chawla is a Managing Director at Alliance Recruitment Agency. He specializes in helping clients with international recruiting, staffing, HR services, and Careers advice service for overseas and international businesses.