One of the quote by Dalai Lama is
“Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.”
And according to Psychologist, if you take a short or long break from your daily routine and visit some new places will create a positive feeling inside you. It will rejuvenate your mind and your body feels better and refreshed.
If you want to spend some quality time with your family and friends? Then get ready to explore some of the exotic and splendid places in India.
India is famous for many winter holiday destinations which attract Indians as well as foreign tourists during the winter season every year.
So, just pack your bag and explore the top Top 10 Winter Holiday Destinations in India.
Goa is the most popular holiday destination in India for Indian and foreign tourists. It is a paradise for couples and bachelor travelers.
Goa attracts most tourists for its cool and pleasant weather, beautiful beaches, food, beach party, shopping, nightlife, water sports, casino and cheap alcohol of course!.
It is best for Festivals and New Year Party which held in December month every year and Goa Carnivals which held in February month every year.
- Activities to do: Water sports like water scooter, parasailing, waterskiing, scuba diving, Wakeboarding, Windsurfing, and water rafting.
- How to reach: By air, the nearest airport is Dublin around 30 km from Panaji city. By train, Margao is the major railway station approx 35 km from Panaji city.
- Major Attractions: Beaches, Nightlife, Water Sports, Festivals, Churches and Temples.
- Must Place to Visit: Dudhsagar Fall, Mangeshi Temple, Basilica of Bom Jesus Church, Fort Aguada, Baga and Calangute beaches, Fort Aguada and Chapora Fort, Grande Island.
Also Read: Top 8 Must Place to Visit in Goa.
2. Shimla – Himachal Pradesh
Shimla is known as a “Queen of Hill Station” in India. It is the capital city of Himachal Pradesh. Shimla is the most favorite popular hill station in India.
It’s a perfect tourist destination knows for its beautiful hills covered with snows, lush greenery view, pleasant weather, snowfall, heritage, and historical sites, temples, churches, and thrilling adventure activities for adventure lovers.
The Temperature ranges between -1 to 10 degrees Celsius in winter at Shimla. So, during the winter season, you may experience the seasonal snowfall.
Shimla is the best choice for honeymoon couples, adventure lovers, and family vacation.
- Activities to do: Adventure sports like Ice Skating, Skiing, Heli-Skiing, Trekking, River Rafting, Fishing, Rock Climbing, and Camping.
- How to reach: By air, Jubbarhatti airport is 23 km from the city. By train, Kalka is the major railway station connected to all major cities of India is approx 90 km from Shimla city and it takes around 5 hours from Kalka to Shimla.
- Major Attractions: Natural and Panoramic Hilly Views, snowfall, Religion, and Historical Sites, Adventure Activities, Churches and Templates, Museums and Mountain Camping,
- Must Place to Visit: Kufri, The Ridge, Jakhoo Hill, Mall Road, Shaily Peak, Tara Devi Temple, Summer Hill, Green Valley, Annandale, Shimla State Museum, Himalayan Bird Park
3. Munnar – Kerala
Kerala is one of the most beautiful states in India. It is known as “God’s Own Country”, perfect for a warm and pleasant environment during the winter season. The average temperature ranges between 23 to 32 degrees Celsius in the winter season, which makes a perfect holiday destination for family and honeymooners.
Munnar is the most preferred hill station in Kerala for tourists. It is located at 1600 meters above sea level. Munnar is known as a Kashmir for south Indian states.
Munnar Hill station is blessed with lots of beautiful attractions like amazing hill sightseeing, tea gardens, backwaters, wildlife sanctuaries, and forest with flora and fauna. It is also must visit place for adventure lovers for camping, trekking, rock climbing, boating, fishing, parasailing, bird & wildlife spotting and of course photography!.
- Activities to do: Trekking, Fishing, Rock Climbing, Camping, boating, parasailing, wildlife & bird spotting, and tea gardens.
- How to reach: By air, Cochin International airport is 125 km from the Munnar. By train, the nearest station is Kochi well-connected to all major cities of India is 130 km from Munnar.
- Major Attractions: Breathtaking lush greenery mountain sightseeing, exotic tea garden mountain slopes, wildlife sanctuaries, elephant safari & elephant bathing, backwater houseboats and lot more.
- Must Place to Visit: Anamudi Peak, Pothamedu Viewpoint, Chokramudi Peak, Eravikulam National Park, Kundale Lake, Carmelagiri Elephant Park, Top Station, Chinnar wildlife sanctuary, Echo point and lot more.
4. Leh Ladakh – Jammu & Kashmir
Jammu & Kashmir is popularly known as “Heaven on the Earth”. It is located in the mountain range of the great Himalaya Mountains. Jammu & Kashmir mainly divided into three regions: Jammu, Kashmir Valley, and Ladakh. Srinagar is known as a summer capital and Jammu is the winter capital of Jammu & Kashmir State.
Leh Ladakh is known as “The Land of High Passes”, further divided into two districts: Leh districts and Kargil districts. It is located more than 3000 meters above sea level.
It is famous for its natural beauty, stunning mountain views, spectacular natural valleys, high altitude trekking, historical monasteries, eye-catching sightseeing, beautiful lakes, and hospitality
- Activities to do: Water Rafting, Mountain Biking, Trekking, Camel Safari, Trekking on Ice, Camping,
- How to reach: By air, Leh is the nearest airport 44 km from Leh Ladakh. By Train, there is no direct rail connectivity but the nearest railway station is Jammu Tawi, which is well connected with Delhi, Kolkata, and Mumbai and 700 km from Ladakh.
- Must Place to Visit: Pangong Lake, Magnetic Hill, Leh Palace Tso Moriri Lake, Zanskar valley, Nubra valley, Kargil, Tso Kar Lake, Khardungla Pass, Spituk Gompa Monastery, and Local Shopping Markets.
5. Coorg – Karnataka
Coorg, officially called Kodagu, is the most preferred hill station and top-rated travel destination of Karnataka States. It is covered with stunning natural valleys, mountain range, and lush greenery forest.
You can get all you want for a perfect holiday gateway which is blessed with stunning landscape, breathtaking sightseeing and exotic scenery, lush greenery hills, Wildlife Sanctuaries, waterfalls, national parks, spice and coffee plantations, tea garden, and lot more.
Coorg is literally known as “The Scotland of India”. Coorg has an average temperature of 15 degrees Celsius, ranging from 11 to 28 degree Celsius with a cool and pleasant atmosphere it is a perfect holiday destination for honeymooners and families to spend some quality time.
- Activities to do: Adventure activities like Trekking, Elephant Safari, Wildlife Spotting, Forest Camping,
- How to reach: By air, Mangalore International Airport is the nearest airport 112 km from Coorg. By train, the nearest railway station is Mysore, 95 km away from Coorg. You can hire a local cab or taxi to reach Coorg.
- Must Place to Visit: Raja’s Seat, Nagarhole National Park, Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary, Brahmagiri Trek, Kopatty Hills, Nisargadhama, Tadiandamol Peak, Omkareshwara Temple, Namdroling Monastery, Honnamana Kere Lake, Dubare Elephant Camp
6. Andaman & Nicobar Island
Andaman & Nicobar are the groups of islands between the Andaman Sea and Bay of Bengal. Out of seven union territories, Andaman & Nicobar is one of them.
If you want to experience some amazing crystal blue water beaches with white sand covered with stunning lush green forest, then Andaman & Nicobar is the perfect place to relax with your loved ones. If you are an adventure lover then you can have the best adventure activities like scuba diving, Snorkeling, Sea Walk, Trekking, Fishing, Beach Camping, Forest Camping, and lots of safe Water Sports.
During the winter season, the weather remains cool and pleasant, temperature ranges between 20 and 30 degrees Celsius during the day, makes this place among the most popular winter holiday destinations for tourists all around with the world. It is the perfect choice for honeymooners to explore and take lifetime memories for their honeymoon.
Note: Indian tourist needs no permit to visit the Andaman & Nicobar Island; But Foreign tourist required a permit, which is easily available on arrival at Port Blair by flight or ship from the Immigration Authorities. For more information please visit the Andaman & Nicobar Tourism website: https://www.andamantourism.gov.in
- Activities to do: Sea Walk, Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, Beach & Forest Camping, Trekking, Fishing and Waters Sports like Swimming, Water-Skiing, Speedboats, Windsurfing, Sailboats, Parasailing, Water Scooters, Raw boat, Paddleboat, and lot more.
- How to reach: By air, Veer Savarkar International Airport in Port Blair well connected with Indian airports like New Delhi, Bhubaneshwar, Chennai, and Kolkata. You can even opt for waterways (sea route). Get a passenger ship from Kolkata, Chennai, and Visakhapatnam. The ships usually take 50 to 60 hours to reach Port Blair.
- Must Place to Visit: Havelock Island, The Cellular Jail(Kala Pani), Ross Island, Neil Island, Little Andaman Island, Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park, Elephant Beach, Wandoor Beach, Long Island, Cinque Island, Rutland Island and lot more famous Islands to visits.
7. Auli – Uttarakhand
Auli hill station located at an altitude of 2-3 thousand meters above sea level – blessed with a best panoramic view of snow-covered slopes of the great Himalayan peaks in Uttarakhand State. The stunning landscapes of snow-capped slopes covered with old oaks, deodars, and apple orchards forests gives you feel like in heaven. The Splendid views of some of the highest Himalayan Peaks like Kamet, Nanda Devi, Mana Parvat and Dunagiri gives you an unforgettable experience.
There are lots of adventure activities for both professionals and amateur adventure enthusiasts like Skiing, Trekking, Ropeway Ride, Camping and a lot more.
- Activities to do: Adventures activities like Skiing, Ropeway, Snowboarding, amazing sightseeing
- How to reach: Jolly Grant Airport of Dehradun is the nearest airport 150km from Auli and The nearest railway station to Auli is Haridwar railway station which is situated 273 km away from Auli.
- Must Place to Visit: View Point, Gurso Bugyal, Kwani Bugyal, Trishul Peak, Chenab Lake, Joshimath, NandaPrayag, and Rudraprayag.
8. Darjeeling – West Bengal
Have you visited any hill town located at an altitude of more than 2000 meters? If No, then you must visit the beautiful Darjeeling hill station located in West Bengal State – the eastern part of India. Darjeeling hill station is popular among the best winter holiday destination in north-east India. The pleasantly cool weather makes Darjeeling most popular during the winter season for the Indian as well as foreign tourists.
Darjeeling is best known for its tea plantation, traditional cuisines, hospitality, amazing toy train, and diversified culture. The lush green hill station with tea gardens on the mountain slopes and evergreen dense forest of oak, sal, and orchid around the Darjeeling towns gives you a mesmerizing feeling. There are other Darjeeling attraction provides Old Buddhist monasteries, historic churches and temples, stunning mountain landscapes, museums, art galleries, and gardens.
The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR) runs the train built-in 1981, is listed in UNESCO World Heritage sites. The train runs at an altitude of 2,200 meters above the sea level, covers 83km – passing from the mountains, does zigzag, loops gives you an unforgettable experience. The magnificent view of the snow-capped peak of The Kanchenjunga – The highest peak in India and the third-highest in the world offers the best Sightseeing place at Darjeeling.
- Activities to do: Sightseeing, Toy Train ride, Darjeeling Ropeway ride, Trekking, and Water Rafting.
- How to reach: By air, Bagdogra Airport is the nearest airport 38 km away from Darjeeling. By train, Jalpaiguri is the nearest railway station 62 km from Darjeeling.
- Must Place to Visit: Darjeeling Himalayan Railway toy train, Tiger Hill, Himalayan Mountaineering Institute, Batasia loop, Japanese Peace Pagoda, Nightingale Park, City Shopping, Singalila National Park, and monasteries.
9. Jaisalmer – Rajasthan
If you want to witness the charm of the desert instead of hill stations during the winter season – Jaisalmer is the perfect choice in Rajasthan State.
It is called “The Golden City”, located at the Thar Desert area covered with Jaisalmer Fort made with golden sandstone.
Jaisalmer is known for its Heritage Sites, Ancient Havelis, Architectural Buildings, Temples, Museums, Cultural Festivals, and Hospitality.
Desert Camping and Camel Ride in the desert is the best thing you should try in Jaisalmer gives you an amazing feel under the open sky
- Activities to do: Desert Camping, Camel Safari, Jeep Safari, Parasailing, Rock Climbing, Rappelling, and Zip-Lining.
- How to reach: Jaisalmer Airport is the nearest airport 5km away from Jaisalmer. By train, Jaisalmer railway station is the nearest railway station just 2km from Jaisalmer.
- Must Place to Visit: Jaisalmer Fort, Sam Sand Dunes, Bada Bagh, Folklore Museum, Gadsisar Lake, Jain Temples, Ramdevra Temple, Patwon Haveli, and Local Handicraft and sculpture shopping.
10. The Great Rann of Kutch – Gujarat
The Great Rann of Kutch is India’s largest Salt Desert located in the Kutch district of Gujarat State, India. The temperature ranges between 0 and 20 degrees Celsius during winter.
Gujarat government held its Kutch Festival between November and February month during the winter season known as ‘Rann Utsav’.
Rann Utsav is famous for its stunning blue full moon night view, cultural events, folk dances, traditional cuisine, desert safari, handicraft shopping, star gazing and hospitality.
There are other places you must visit near The Great Rann of Kutch offers beautiful beaches, Archaeological Sites, Religious sites, Kutch Museum, Kala Dungar, holy lakes namely Man Sarovar, Pampa Sarovar, Bindu Sarovar, Narayan Sarovar, and Pushkar Sarovar.
- Activities to do: Para Motoring, Rifle Shooting, Star Gazing, Spa, Archery, Kids Gaming Zone, Rock Climbing, Pendulum Swing, Sightseeing, Zip-lining, ATV rides, sunrises and sunsets, camel rides, and Desert Safari.
- How to reach: By air, Bhuj airport is the nearest 78km away from Runn Utsav of Kutch. By train, the nearest railway station is Bhuj, 79 km from the Rann Utsav.
- Nearby Place to Visit: Narayan Sarovar, Dholavira, Mata no Madh, Madvi Beach, Kandla Port and Mudra Port.